With its unique sporty exterior, interior and wheel treatments, the Sentra SR grade has stood apart from the rest of the popular Nissan Sentra lineup. For 2017, Sentra SR kicks things up a few notches – 64, to be precise, if measured in horsepower – with the addition of the new Sentra SR Turbo. In keeping with its performance positioning, it is available with a 6-speed manual (along with an Xtronic transmission).
Based on the popular Sentra SR grade level, which accounts for more than 15 percent total Sentra sales, the new turbocharged version maintains the SR's unique sporty exterior, interior and wheel treatments.
Under the skin, however, things get radically different:
- At the heart of the SR Turbo is its new 1.6-liter Direct Injection Gasoline (DIG™) turbocharged engine that delivers a 50 percent horsepower increase from the normally aspirated 1.8-liter Sentra SR powerplant
- Rated at 188 horsepower and 177 lb-ft of torque, the new SR Turbo engine offers 64 more horsepower and 52 more lb-ft of torque than non-turbo 2017 Sentra models
- The new 16-valve DOHC aluminum-alloy inline 4-cylinder engine includes a 10.5:1 compression ratio, a Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS), spray-coated and mirror-finish cylinder bores and a variable pressure oil pump
- Available 6-speed manual transmission or new Xtronic transmission with manual mode
- To help handle the increased power and torque, Sentra SR Turbo also receives an enhanced body structure, revised steering system, larger front disc brakes and unique suspension tuning
- The enhancements to the suspension are designed to handle the increased power and include a 10 percent increase in front spring stiffness
- The SR Turbo-specific front and rear damper tuning has been optimized for use with the 17-inch wheels and tires – front damping has been increased 23 percent and rear damping by 50 percent
- The suspension also benefits from body enhancements that range from increased front cowl thickness to new steering gear mounting
- The Electric Power Steering (EPS) system changes include a larger steering motor and remapped electronic to provide a balanced feel between reduced effort at parking and low speed situations and enhanced feedback on highways and winding roads
- Larger front brakes and calipers are also utilized and Sentra's Active Understeer Control system has been optimized for the SR Turbo
- Other enhancements, available on all 2017 Sentra grades, include improved interior quietness due to increased front and rear window glass thickness and nearly double the storage capacity in the front center console
- Sentra SR Turbo includes a standard power sliding glass moonroof with tilt feature and SR Turbo badging
- Like the non-Turbo Sentra SR, the exterior is marked by LED low beam projector headlights with LED accents, lower body side sill extensions, rear spoiler with integrated LED brake light, fog lights, chrome exhaust finisher, heated outside mirrors with LED turn signals, and unique design 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 205/50R17 all-season tires
- Inside, both SR and SR Turbo grades include sport interior trim, premium sport cloth seats, driver's seatback pocket and heated front seats
- One option package is offered – the SR Turbo Premium Package with Blind Spot Warning (BSW) and Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
The new Sentra SR Turbo joins the popular Sentra sedan lineup later this fall in Nissan showrooms nationwide.